Many of our customers know they need a new custom sign but have no idea where to begin. With so many options available and at different price points, it helps to have a professional opinion. This is where we come in! After gathering some basic information, our team can take your ideas and create a high-quality, customized, and eye-catching sign to fit your specific needs.
To begin the information gathering process for your new custom sign, we suggest following these simple steps.
Know The Surroundings Where the Sign Will be Displayed
Begin by asking yourself these questions:
- What does the sign need to do? How will it function?
- Where will the sign be displayed? Will it be an interior or exterior sign?
- What are the dimensions of the wall where the sign will hang?
- What are the approximate dimensions of the sign?
- What type of wall will the sign be displayed against (drywall, masonry, stone, etc.)?
- If it’s drywall, what’s the paint color?
- How do I want the sign to hang?
- Will the new sign need to match or blend with other existing signs in the same office or general area?
The answers to these questions will factor into the overall design of your sign. We will need to know how the sign will function for your business. Will it welcome guests when they walk in? Will it identify the right door to open? Will it mark the entry to your location from the road? Will it be the center of your brand identification?
We will use the location of your sign to recommend specific materials. The dimensions will assist us in having the proper scale so that your sign isn’t too big or too small. The type and color of wall will also play a part in the sign’s design and the colors and materials that we suggest.
How you prefer to hang your sign will also tell us a lot about the sign’s style. For example, do you want the sign mounted away from the wall with standoffs or flush against the wall? Or will it hang above the front door of your business? Also, do you want the hardware to show or be hidden? These are just a few of the many options available for hanging signs.
Check Out Other Signs to Get Ideas
We find it extremely helpful to know what type of signage catches your eye. The more we can visualize your style and preferences, the more likely we will be able to create the sign that will be perfect for you and your business.
Here are some places you can find great ideas for your custom sign. When you see what you like, send us some example images.
- 12-Point SignWorks website
- 12-Point SignWorks social media sites (Twitter & Facebook)
- Google search
- Sign Industry websites
- Or just drive around town!
Research and Select Preferred Materials
We also need to know your preference for the materials you want for your sign. We fabricate signs from a variety of materials, including acrylic, metal, wood, and PVC plastics. To learn more about the materials we use for dimensional signage, read our blog article: Accentuate Your Brand with Custom Dimensional Signage.
When you’re ready to move forward with your sign, let us know your material preference, but also be prepared that we may make other suggestions for the material we use in your sign. For example, you may want metal, but the weight and overall cost of metal may not fit your needs. We may suggest other materials that give the appearance of metal while being lighter and more cost effective.
Details, Details, and More Details
Haven’t we asked for enough already? Not quite! 🙂 There are additional details that we will need before we can begin creating a proof for your sign, including:
- Logo and/or Other Artwork Files. Please send us your logo and any additional artwork that you would like to have included on your sign. We need to have all artwork in vector format to be able to create your sign with the best visual quality. For more information about vector files, click here.
- Preferred Colors & Fonts. If your company has a style guide that you must follow for all marketing collateral (including your new sign), please send us a digital copy. This will help us understand your company’s requirements for the logo, brand colors, and preferred fonts. If your company doesn’t have a style guide, no worries! Just let us know your preferred fonts and brand colors (or we can help you select colors using the Pantone Matching system.) If you’re creating an acrylic sign, we can also closely match colors using a variety of methods, including standard acrylic colors, vinyl, or even hand painting. Fortunately, there are many options to get the color you need on the sign that you want. Read this article to learn more about color in acrylic signs: 4 Options for Creating the Perfect Colors in Acrylic Signage.
- Text and Proper Spelling. We will need to know any additional text you may want to include on your sign as well as the correct spelling for uncommon words. This text can include slogans, lists of products, contact information, etc.
- Budget Amount. Your budget will tell us quite a bit about the type of sign we will create for you. Fortunately, there are a variety of materials available that can create a specific ‘look’ to fit a variety of budgets.
- Location and Installation. Your location will assist us when creating your custom sign. Will you need assistance with installation? We install signs throughout the Middle Tennessee area. If you live outside our area, no problem! We can ship the sign to your location. We help many of our clients find reputable companies to assist with installations all over the US and Canada! If the project is large enough, our installers can also travel as needed.
The design and fabrication process for your sign will be easier and faster if you have the above information ready when you contact us. If you can’t answer all the questions, no worries! We can start with the information you have and work from there.
You’re welcome to bring your ideas to our shop where we can show you samples of specific colors and materials. Or we can meet you at your facility (if it’s in the Middle Tennessee area) to help you visualize the details of your signage. Just let us know what works best for you!
Are you ready to get the design process started for your new custom sign? We’re ready to help! Consultations and estimates are always free. Give us a call at (615) 595-6564 or click on the button below.
In addition to custom interior signs and logo signs, we also specialize in environmental branding, wall murals, architectural displays, and custom projects. Our shop is located in Franklin, but we serve all of Middle Tennessee, including Nashville, Brentwood, Hendersonville, Smyrna, Lebanon, Murfreesboro, and Spring Hill. We look forward to working with you!